It's the future, Jim, but not as we know it...

There's more to tomorrow than robots, flying cars, and a faster internet.
22C+ is all about Deep Futures, futures that matter. Welcome to futures fantastic, unexpected, profound, but most of all deeply meaningful...

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Why Sports Games are Decided Before A Whistle Sounds

 Shane Watson celebrates. Yet how much control did he really have?

I have written once or twice about how I believe that the outcomes of sporting events are actually determined before the game is played – at least much of the time. I have had so many premonitions about sporting events over the years that I now know that this is true beyond any reasonable doubt. The only thing that I am undecided about is whether some games remain undecided until some key point in the game.

I don’t have too much time to watch sport these days, but I do have a subscription to an ESPN cricket channel, so have been following some recent games of cricket between Australia and England. The English team is currently touring Australia, playing well over a dozen games. This year I decided to put my Integrated Intelligence  to the test empirically, and see if I could pick the outcomes of the games.

To sense the outcomes, I have relied upon two sources of “data”.

The first is dreams, visions and images which come into my head. Some of these occur independently of my will, such as when I am sleeping. For example, two nights ago, just before Australia played England in a game, I had a brief dream about the game. These dreams almost always occur just before I awaken, as it did on this occasion. The dream was actually a combination of thought, auditory commentary, and some visual images. I saw two Australian players, and the information was that one had played well in helping Australia win, but a second player had batted before him had actually done most of the hard work. He was the one who had won the game.

When I awoke and recalled the dream, the first thing I did was project my consciousness into both the dream and the upcoming game to get an affective sense of whether they represented the truth of what was about to happen. This is the second source of intuitive information I use to sense sporting outcomes, what I call The Feeling Sense (see here for more details about these processes). As soon as I did this, I got a very strong sense that Australia would win the game. It was a very clear and strong signal. There was no doubt in my mind that Australia was going to win the game. That game would start about four hours later.

An interesting thing is that one of the two Australian players whom I saw in the dream (Dave Warner, the one who was going to be the match-winner) was not even playing in the game. So the dream could not be taken literally. Yet what I have learned to trust is the overall energy of such premonitions. The one “law” of premonitions that I was given by spiritual guidance (also in a dream, by the way) some years ago is that precognitive dreams are typically metaphoric and symbolic in nature. To understand them, you have to learn how to decipher their symbolism.

In this sense the precognitive dream is a model of what is about to unfold, but may incorporate both literal and metaphoric elements.

So when I looked at the idea that Dave Warner was going to be the main contributor, my sense was that it actually referred to a very similar player, who was playing in the same position that day (an opening batsman named Shane Watson). If you play close attention to dreams and visions, the literal person in a dream may actually represent someone with a very similar overall energy or consciousness. This is because the psyche recognises energy first, details second.

For me, watching games where I feel I know the outcome is fascinating, because as I watch I can sense what is about to happen much of the time. For example, I just know that there is no chance that a particular batsman is going to be dismissed by the bowler in the immediate future, because there is simply no energy on it. Watching rugby, I can often sense when a side is about to score, because the energy of the score is already present in the current moment. The energy of emotive future events reaches back in time, as was suggested by a recent paper published in The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

One of the most interesting things about yesterday’s game was that England batted first, and began smashing the Australian bowlers all over the ground. It was one of the most awesome displays of batting seen in recent times. So, after about a quarter of the game England had nearly 200 runs. For those who don’t know much about cricket, that would be a bit like, say, a basketball team leading 40 points to 5 after the first quarter. For all intents and purposes the game looked to be over, and the Australian team was playing like a bunch of schoolboys. Really, it was one of the worst displays of cricket by an Australian team in recent years. Totally amateurish stuff. The Australian commentators were actually getting a bit agitated by all the errors being made.

And yet, as I projected my consciousness via the feeling sense into the end result of the match, the energy of the outcome remained unchanged. I just knew that Australia was going to win. I found this fascinating – watching a team getting thrashed, humiliated, burned, but knowing that they were going to win in the end. So I did something I haven’t done for years. I stayed at home the whole day and watched all seven hours of the game from start to end, including the lunch break (cricket is a long game!). This would be worth seeing.

By the end of their batting innings, England had scored 295 runs, which is an incredibly high score. Then came Australia’s turn to bat, and no team had ever scored that many runs to win a game at that ground in the history of cricket. I watched with great fascination as the innings unfolded. And yes, Australia did score the necessary runs to win the game right at the death.

As it turned out, that player Shane Watson smashed a record 160 runs, batting undefeated through the entire innings to help Australia win.

I have used this system of sensing the outcomes of games for the last 7 cricket internationals involving Australia and England. I am being completely honest when I tell you I got six outcomes right, but once I was wrong. That one time I felt Australia was going to win the 5th test (game) in the recent series. Austrlia actually got thrashed in that game! The reason (I suspect) is because I had made that prediction four games in advance (yes, I “saw” the energy on the four upcoming games, and got the first three, but not the fourth). It could also be that, as an Australian, I let my personal biases overcloud my judgment. It must also be considered that energy shifts are more likely the further we go into the future. It’s the butterfly effect – small actions taken now effect what will happen down the line. But after making that mistake I went back to picking one game at a time, and have gotten them all right since. Here’s how the games went. There are actually three different formats of cricket, but I won’t bother to distinguish them here).

  • ·         England (huge win)
  • ·         Australia (huge win – few picked it after the first game)
  • ·         England (huge win – see previous point!)
  • ·         England (huge win – this one I got wrong)
  • ·         England (last ball win – quite literally)
  • ·         Australia (very narrow win)
  • ·         Australia (the aforementioned very narrow win after England looked like thrashing Australia early on).

What does all this mean? If you can suspend disbelief for a moment and consider the possibility that we can sense the future, the implications of what I am writing about here are enormous.

Firstly, it means that much – some might say all – of what is happening today – is effectively predestined. Think about it. If what I am saying is true, and you really can sense the results of sports events in advance, then the only question is just how much is actually predestined. Is it only the final outcome? Or is every last detail pre-programmed in advance, including every shot hit, basket sunk or goal scored?

Another possibility is the one I prefer to accept at this point in time. Precognitions – including divinations and The Feeling Sense – pick up probabilities – not the actual event itself. This is the most acceptable hypothesis to me, because, as an intuitive, I receive daily guidance from spiritual sources, including prompts to get me to acknowledge things that I am ignoring, or to assist me in making wise choices. I also ask for guidance about choices I am about to make, and always get some kind of information back in return, even though sometimes it is deliberately vague (Spirit prefers you learn for yourself, rather than be spoon fed, because evolution of consciousness is the prime goal of the “system”). If all events were set in advance spiritual guidance would be pointless.

In many ways, the spiritual journey is one of moving from unconsciousness – automatic and conditioned egoic responses – to full awareness of what drives our choices. This includes a movement from what we imagine is the reason for our choices, to the actual reasons. The ego is a trickster. It often believes it has control, when in fact it may have little or none.

Given that much of what is about to unfold is inevitable, and that we can receive guidance regarding what to do about it (including the choices we have available) I believe the best approach reality – to life - is to relax into the moment wherever possible, free from the chattering mind. This is where Integrated Intelligence is most reliable, where we can sense who we truly are at a spiritual level, and where awareness of the forces pulling upon us is most readily perceived. And this is not to even mention the fact that the present moment is where we free ourselves from the ego and its chattering monkey mind.

It’s worth some reflection.

Marcus

5 comments:

  1. Marcus:

    As i sent in my FaceBook message, i am convinced, from my moment to moment experiences that everything, everything is predetermined, down to the smallest event. When i first read my teacher's (Ramana Maharshi} statement to this effect, i was astonished, but if one is able to be very still and present during one's day, it is obvious that that is the case. Albert Einstein came to the same conclusion as Ramana Maharshi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gary. I know where you stand on this one, which is why I sent you a message via Facebook. Feel free to put any links you like here, to your work. I'm sure anyone reading this post will be interested in it.

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Marcus. This is really interesting. So, does energy play a big role in determining what will happen in an event? In that sense, Rugby is a good example 'coz the sport has such great tension from the very beginning to end.

    Speaking of imagination (@gary weber)... Perhaps that's the reason why Einstein said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Savannah. Thanks for reminding me about this post! Maybe I'll write more about this topic soon on my blog. I can add that I eventually picked 11 out of 13 games correctly over the summer. In fact I got 6 out of seven of the one day games right in advance before the first game - i.e. I tried to predict the outcomes of all games before a ball was bowled in the first game. I got the second last one wrong, all the rest right. Also, with the cricket world cup, I had quite a few premonitions, and correctly predicted that Australia would bow out of the tournament at the quarter final stage. I saw this in a dream several weeks before the event. I also predicted Pakistan would beat AUS in a group stage match, based on intuitive feelings. Since AUS had not lost a game of cricket at the world cup for 12 years, that was not merely going with the likely outcome.

    Again, I got so many premonitions while watching the world cup that it only reinforced my perception that games are decided in advance. For example, when Australia was playing one team, the night before I dreamed they scored 327 runs for the loss of 7 wickets. In the actual game, they scored 324 runs for the loss of 6 wickets. This being just slightly off is common for me. I suspect the reason is that there are just so many millions of variables in a 3-4 hour cricket innings, that not every variable can be predetermined - just most.

    As for energy during a game, it's a good question. Could crowd excitement - or fear - (including those watching on TV) affect the energy of a game and effect the result? I suspect yes, but it would not change the game's result, as the observer's energy is already set BEFORE the game. A Pakistani is not likely to start wishing India to win as he watches the game, for example!

    The the factor to consider is that one's conscious mind is not the only energy one is putting out. Within the unconscious may be projections which are self-limiting or self-destructive. e.g. a country with a strong victim consciousness may project a loss - because that is what they are most "comfortable' with, and at some level they need to feel like "we have been robbed"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "As for energy during a game, it's a good question. Could crowd excitement - or fear - (including those watching on TV) affect the energy of a game and effect the result? I suspect yes, but it would not change the game's result, as the observer's energy is already set BEFORE the game." So perhaps, that's the reason why my predictions aren't always right. Human's mind is very much powerful, no doubt. Anyway, thanks for responding, Marcus.

    ReplyDelete