It's the future, Jim, but not as we know it...

There's more to tomorrow than robots, flying cars, and a faster internet.
22C+ is all about Deep Futures, futures that matter. Welcome to futures fantastic, unexpected, profound, but most of all deeply meaningful...

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Mind Reader


Light, Chapter 27: The Mind Reader
Below, you will find an excerpt of this chapter of my online novel. To read the rest of the chapter click here.

"There are certain requirements that we need to address before we accept people into the Journey of Light", Julie said. We are not a car club."

"Yes. Yes. Of course. I understand."

"Do you?" She looked at me in a way that made me shift uncomfortably. She didn't speak for what seemed like half a minute, though it was probably just a few seconds. What was she talking about? Was there going to be some weird initiation ceremony or something?

"The first thing we need to determine is where are you sitting currently on your spiritual journey? Where are you right now?” She turned round, picked up a marker and drew a long horizontal line across the whiteboard. “This line, this continuum, represents human consciousness evolution. This left side of the line represents zero, and the far right one hundred per cent of full consciousness. So, where are you on this line right now?" She then placed a finger on the line, and quickly moved it from left to right. Unfortunately for me her finger didn't go very far. In fact it came to a stop right near the beginning. Near the zero point. "This is where you are right now." She drew a short horizontal mark at the relevant point on the line. It was definitely less than five per cent or so.

"And this is where I am." Julie then did the same thing again, only this time her finger went much further along the line. She made a mark at about the half way point along the line.

I looked at my humble placing near the zero point, and hers at around the fifty per cent mark. I flinched. Who the hell did this woman think she was? Did she think I was a moron or something? A guy who just walked in off the street and who didn’t know anything about human consciousness?  I had been studying the subject in my own time for months, and the Awakening had given me abilities which most people could only dream of!

“I see’” I said. What I really wanted to do was tell her to go screw herself. The sheer arrogance of the woman! It was obvious that I already knew all the kind of  stuff she had been going on about; and had even worked it out on my own without needing some cult to brainwash me. And I certainly didn’t need some female Jesus wannabe with an inflated ego to tell me what to think. I would have walked out right then and there, if not for what happened next. And what happened next shocked my very soul in a way that nothing I’d ever experienced had.

Julie looked at me blankly. She was not smiling now, although she did not look displeased either. “I’m just going to channel your ego towards me right now, just to let you see it more clearly for yourself.” Before I’d even had time to work out what she meant by that, she stood up, and moved to the centre of the room. Suddenly her entire demenour changed from that of  a relaxed new age lady guru to one of angry agitation. Her voice became terse, abrupt. The sudden shift was shocking.

“Do you know who I am! I already know all this stuff!” She was pacing back and forward like a caged animal. Her entire body had become tense, her breathing shallow, her voice raspy. It was a frightening transformation. “I know more than you do! I can see, I can. I can see! I know this already! I know it.”

I was looking at her, and I could hear what was going on. But I could barely look, barely listen. The woman had ripped open something from within me, something very personal, very secret. She was reading my mind. And not just any part of my mind. She was reading the nasty part. There was more.

“So don’t tell me what to think you stupid bitch! I know more than you do! I’m special! I can see more than anyone! I’m superior to you! So fuck off. I’m out of here!”

At this point, mercifully, she stopped. From the hot feeling on my face I knew my cheeks had turned red, flushed. For a few seconds I sat there in denial. This was not me she had just mind read. No. This was somebody else, somebody dark. Somebody arrogant, angry and judgmental. Somebody else. But weren’t these the very thoughts that had been circulating through my mind just a minute or two before? I just wanted to run away. I felt, ashamed. Terrified. Naked.

So this was mind reading. I had always supposed that if it was real that it would be exciting and fun. A game played by children who believed in flying carpets, magical kingdoms, and fairies. Instead it was terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment